How to Prepare Current Affairs for UPSC Mains 2022
Current Affairs play an essential role in UPSC Mains preparation. It is a complex and challenging section to conquer, both for experienced and new aspirants alike.
The study material for UPSC Current Affairs is dynamic and without any defined syllabus, which is why it stumps even the most well-prepared candidates.
However, that does not mean you cannot write high-quality answers for this section.
In this blog post, we shall go through a few pointers that you need to remember while preparing for the current affairs section for your upcoming UPSC Mains 2022 exam.
Follow the strategy outlined below and you will get a better idea of how to deal with the UPSC Current Affairs section.
So, let’s get started.
Current Affairs Strategy to ace UPSC Mains 2022 | Pro Tips to Boost UPSC Current Affairs Preparation
Rely on a Single Source for Information.
Current affairs are dynamic and endless. You can spend the entire day reading newspapers and still have information left to cover. That is a huge waste of time. Therefore, to save time and energy, follow one source that provides reliable and accurate information.
In fact, we can make that a little bit easier for you. You can follow PrepMagazine as a one-stop solution for all your current affairs needs.
It has comprehensive coverage of relevant newspapers along with smart study tools like Mind Maps and Infographics to help you remember and retain information for a longer period of time.
Go Through Previous Years’ Papers
This is another crucial step you need to take when starting out on your UPSC Current Affairs preparation. You can do this for both Mains and Prelims. This way you will get an idea about what kind of questions are asked for this section and why they are asked keeping the current context in mind.
At the same time, you can also try and solve Mock Tests to gauge an understanding of your own knowledge and also get a fair idea of the kind of questions that are actually asked in the CSE exam.
Revise your Preferred Current Affairs Magazine Multiple Times
To ensure you retain all the Current Affairs relevant information, make sure you go through your favourite CA magazine multiple times. This will not only help you build confidence but will also help you to focus on crucial topics.
Solve Mock Tests to Boost Confidence
When you put your skills and knowledge to practice that is when the results of your hard work are visible to you.
To ace current affairs for UPSC Mains, attempt mock tests regularly. Over time you will find your confidence increasing and along with it, your answer writing skills. Not to be left behind, attempting mock tests regularly will also help you in time management.
While studying, try to make short notes on the topic. List down important dates, names, places, or any other factor that will help you revise and remember the subject. You can find more details on the importance of note-making here.
With less than three months left for the UPSC Mains Exam 2022, the need of the hour is to optimize your preparation strategy for maximum results. For maximum performance, you need to only use those resources which offer the highest value.
UPSC Mains Current Affairs Preparation- FAQs
Which newspapers should you read for UPSC Mains 2022?
Ideally, all UPSC CSE aspirants are recommended to read The Hindu newspaper. However, you can also try other newspapers and magazines like The Indian Express, Live Mint, or The Economic Times among others.
In the end, whichever newspaper you choose, you need to make sure that it covers all major events related to National and International affairs, Administration related news, economy, business, science and technology, environment, and disasters among others.
How to read the newspaper for UPSC Mains 2022 Exam?
Ideally, you should spend less than two hours reading the newspaper. This is because you already have a lot of static syllabi to cover during the rest of the day.
You should not read the newspaper end to end as it is unnecessary. Read the paper keeping the UPSC syllabus in mind. Carefully read the sections on polity, economics, national and international news, and editorials.
Also, check out this video by Vivek Singh sir where he lists down the most important books for your UPSC CSE preparation.
For a more detailed understanding of how to go through the newspaper and ace UPSC Current Affairs, follow the suggestions given below.
What to Read in the National News Section
- Events of national importance.
- Important news related to Administration, Economy, Business, Editorials, Science and Technology, Environment, Disasters, and others.
- Important Nationwide schemes/initiatives launched by the government in recent times.
- News related to the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) or Bhabha Atomic Research Center (BARC) or other bodies of national significance.
What to Read in Polity Section
- Important or Contentious Bills passed in the Indian Parliament.
- Any amendment or constitution-related news.
- Election-related news or any major decisions that are taken by the Election Commission of India.
- Major schemes or reforms announced by the government of India.
- Landmark Judgements by the Supreme Court, High Courts of the country.
What to Read for Economics
- Press releases issued by the SEBI, RBI, NITI Ayog, NASSCOM, ASSOCHAM, and other important national bodies from time to time.
- Various Financial reforms and measures introduced by the government.
- For example, GST reforms, and relief packages released by the government.
- News related to GDP, Inflation, CPI, and IIP among others.
What to Read in the International News Section
- Any major news that affects India’s foreign relations with other countries.
- Recent International conferences and events attended by the Prime Minister, President, and foreign ministers of the country.
- News related to crucial Treaties and Agreements signed.
- Reports published by various international organizations such as the UN, WHO, UNICEF, and ASEAN among others.
- Political events of other countries that are of international significance.
What to Read for General Knowledge
Once the major topics have been covered, you need to focus on brushing up on important global issues such as climate change and global warming. Further, read about endangered and extinct species, culture, heritage news, and technology-related news among others.
Focus less on these topics while reading the newspaper
- Entertainment News
- State-level news unless it has a larger national significance.
- Local News (Unless you are preparing for the Final Interview)
If you are looking for well-researched study material for your UPSC Mains 2022 exam, then PrepLadder is the right choice for you.
Everything you need to crack UPSC CSE, you will find in the UPSC Dream Pack. It includes concise, effective, and well-planned video lectures by the Dream Team comprising India’s top UPSC faculties, NCERT Summary, high-yield QBank, highly competitive PrepTests based on the latest exam pattern, and PYQs in the form of tests, and much more.
Download the PrepLadder App now and get access to the best quality study content for your UPSC CSE preparation, anytime anywhere.
Own Your Dream
Connect on Instagram
Important Topics of World History UPSC Mains 2022Aug 19 , 2022
Maternal Health Situation in India- UPSC Current AffairsAug 17 , 2022
Sri Lanka Economic Crisis- UPSC Current AffairsApr 13 , 2022
Fundamental Rights in the Indian Constitution- NCERT Notes UPSCMar 15 , 2022
UPSC CSE 2022 Application Form Released. Check Eligibility Criteria, How To Apply.Feb 02 , 2022
UPSC Exam Calendar 2022 Released. Check CSE DatesJan 04 , 2022
Explained: UPSC Syllabus and Exam Pattern 2021Aug 12 , 2021