How to Prepare Internal Security for UPSC Mains- GS Paper 3
Internal Security is a small yet one of the crucial topics of the General Studies Paper 3 of the UPSC Mains that demands equal attention as any other topic during the UPSC exam preparation.
You can easily expect at least 3-4 questions (varies from year to year) from this topic that are worth 30-50 marks. Hence, adequate preparation is paramount to score good marks in the exam.
Read further as we dive deep in to help you understand how to prepare internal security for UPSC?
Internal Security Syllabus- UPSC Civil Services Mains
UPSC expects the aspiring Civil Services aspirants to gain knowledge of the following in detail:
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
- Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security; money-laundering and its prevention.
- Security challenges and their management in border areas – linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
Internal Security Questions asked in Previous Year Papers
Before proceeding to the preparation strategy for Internal Security UPSC, let’s have a look at the type of questions asked in the Mains exam.
2020 Mains Question
What are the determinants of left-wing extremism in the Eastern part of India? What strategy should the Government of India, civil administration and security forces adopt to counter the threat in the affected areas?
2019 Mains Question
The banning of ‘Jamaat-e-Islami’ in Jammu and Kashmir brought into focus the role of over-ground workers (OGWs) in assisting terrorist organizations. Examine the role played by OGWs in assisting terrorist organizations in insurgency affected areas. Discuss measures to neutralize the influence of OGWs.
2018 Mains Question
Left-Wing Extremism (LWE) is showing a downward trend, but still affects many parts of the country. Briefly explain the Government of India’s approach to counter the challenges posed by LWE.
2017 Mains Question
The north-eastern region of India has been infested with insurgency for a very long time. Analyze the major reasons for the survival of armed insurgency in this region.
So you can see the variety and the level of Internal Security questions asked in the Mains exam. Hence, its preparation has to be done holistically along with keeping a check on the Current Affairs. Read further to know about the tips that will help you to prepare for Internal Security.
Watch a detailed video lecture on the Role of External State and Non-State Actors in Creating Challenges To Internal Security by Pavneet Singh Sir, one of our educators of the DREAM TEAM for UPSC:
Tips to Prepare Internal Security for UPSC Mains
- Internal Security is a topic that is Current Affairs driven. Hence, reading newspapers (The Hindu/The Indian Express) daily should be an inevitable part of your study plan.
- During your preparation and while reading newspapers, make sure that you prepare notes for better preparation.
- Refer to government websites such as IDSA and MHA to get valuable insights on specific issues.
- Also, study various organizations involved in threatening Internal Security of India and various government policies and programs to combat them.
- Read the book on Internal Security by Pavneet Singh
- Refer to previous year papers and practice solving questions. Doing so will enable you to understand the type of questions asked in the exam.
Recommended Books for Internal Security Preparation
- Security: A Reader Challenge to Internal Security of India
- INTERNAL SECURITY: Comprehensive Textbook for Civil Service Examination
- Challenges to Internal Security of India by Ashok Kumar, IPS
One important thing to be kept in mind while referring to these books is that you need to study syllabus specific topics.
PrepLadder is a one-stop solution for all your Civil Services Exam (CSE) preparation needs. It offers pocket-friendly subscriptions that have everything you need to ace the CSE such as, concise, effective, and well-planned video lectures by our Dream Team for UPSC, a well-structured and high yield QBank, highly competitive PrepTests based on real exam patterns, and Previous Year Papers in the form of tests.
Keep following our articles and our Telegram channel to apprise yourself with the latest information about the exam.
All the best for your exam.
Own Your Dream
Connect on Instagram
Life after UPSC: Training at LBSNAA and Bharat DarshanSep 28 , 2022
Detailed Application Form (DAF): All You Need To KnowSep 23 , 2022
5 Last Minute Tips to Ace UPSC Mains 2022 ExamSep 13 , 2022
Fundamental Rights in the Indian Constitution- NCERT Notes UPSCMar 15 , 2022
UPSC CSE 2022 Application Form Released. Check Eligibility Criteria, How To Apply.Feb 02 , 2022
PrepLadder Reinvented: User Guide | Your Guide To Uninterrupted LearningJan 28 , 2022
UPSC Exam Calendar 2022 Released. Check CSE DatesJan 04 , 2022
Explained: UPSC Syllabus and Exam Pattern 2021Aug 12 , 2021