How to prepare PSM for FMGE
PSM is a highly significant subject from FMGE perspective.
PSM (SPM or CPM or Community Medicine) appears very extensive and monotonous to most of the FMGE aspirants.
Keeping the aspirants’ concern in mind, we have compiled this article which will bring forth the Tips and the Most Important Topics of PSM from FMGE perspective.
We hope that this will surely help you to develop some interest in this subject.
2021 Dream Pack: Clinical | Integrated | NEXT Ready
Most Important Topics and Tips for PSM Preparation
Here is a list of the Most Important Topics and Tips for Preparation of PSM:
- For Biostatistics, you need not go into greater details since most of the questions are restricted to Chi square, Paired T Test and Student T Test.
- There is no need to focus on Multi-variant analysis.
- Further, study the Sampling types and attain a brief knowledge of Mean, Median, Mode, Standard Deviation, Standard error and Normal Distribution.
- Further, gather a brief knowledge about Screening Tests. Important Topics under Screening Tests:
- Briefly prepare Sensitivity and Specificity Tests
- Focus on PPV, MPV and their Relation to each other as per the Base Theorem
- Focus on what happens when the Tests are arranged in Series and when the Tests are arranged in Parallel
- Thoroughly prepare Null Hypothesis: α-error, β-error and Power of a Test
- Gather a basic knowledge of Guttman Scale, Likert Scale and Distinction of Characters in Categorical Test and Quantitative Test
- Gather a brief knowledge about which test to apply, whether the test can be termed as Qualitative or Quantitative and the degree in which it can be placed
- Study Bias, Confounding and Effect Modifier briefly and clear your concepts thoroughly
- Anthony N. Glaser is the best and recommended book for Biostatistics
II. Epidemiology: Concept of Health & Disease
Most Important Topics
- Prepare the Difference between HDI, HPI and PQLI in parallel to understand the difference between them
- Concept of Web of Causation, Iceberg Concept & Brief awareness of the ‘At Risk’ approach
- Types of Studies:
- Distinction between Case Control, Randomized Control Trial and Cohort
- Factors favoring Case Control, Randomized Control Trial and Cohort
- Shortcomings of Case Control, Randomized Control Trial and Cohort
- Approach to Overcome Bias/Confounding
- Awareness of Matching
Also read: 3 Month Revision Plan for FMGE
- This unit can be prepared from both Peadiatrics and PSM. You must ensure not to omit it since it is highly significant.
- The best approach for Immunization is not to rely on root learning.
- Questions from Immunization are usually based on the Practical Application and therefore you must prepare the Approach thoroughly.
- Questions can be asked in the form of Instances such as what all vaccines must be given if a child has been completely unimmunized till 5 years of age.
- Thoroughly prepare the Comparison between NIS Schedule for IAP recommendations and National Immunization Schedule.
- Park’s book is recommended for Infections since it is much better than Microbiology book
- Park’s book is highly recommended since it thoroughly covers Infections, their Vaccines and National Programs
- Prepare Infections from PSM since it will cover a lot of load from PSM + Microbiology
- Influenza – Thoroughly prepare Influenza since 3-4 questions are regularly asked from this topic
- Focus on Polio and Japanese Encephalitis
- Thoroughly study Parasitic Infections such as Filarial worm
2021 Dream Pack: Clinical | Integrated | NEXT Ready
- Iodine Deficiency – Focus on IRDA Values
- Focus on Vitamin Deficiency and the National Programs associated with it
- Distinction Between Growth Monitoring and Nutritional Surveillance
VI. Bio-Medical Waste
Attain a Brief awareness of Bio-Medical Waste since easy questions are asked from this unit
Most Significant Topics
- Screw Fit technology
The above-listed topics must be prepared thoroughly since questions are repeatedly asked from these topics in FMGE.
This is a relatively easy topic, thereby it should not be omitted.
- Tests for Various Types of Pollution
- Mosquito Control Measures
- Stay Updated with any modifications in the Old Programs and the New Programs being launched
- Prepare RNTCP National Program since questions were asked in previous year papers on this program. RNTCP refers to a Web-based Portal for Monitoring of Classes
- Keep Track of the New Updates, New Web-Portals and New Monitoring Techniques being launched
- NTCP Program is highly important, do prepare it thoroughly
IX. Recent Infections
- Thoroughly prepare Recent Infections such as Ebola, Swine-flu, H1N1, etc since questions are regularly asked from these topics
- Stay Updated with all the Recent Infections
We are hopeful that this article would surely guide the aspirants to streamline their PSM preparation for FMGE.
Connect on Instagram
Globalisation and the Indian Economy- NCERT Notes UPSCMay 25 , 2022
Special Drawing Rights- UPSC Current AffairsMay 24 , 2022
5 MBA Myths BustedMay 24 , 2022
FREE Access to General Medicine Content | The Treasure House of Knowledge You Can’t Afford to MissJan 21 , 2022
FMGE| Exam Analysis: December 2021 | Because no one knows it better than the aspirants!Dec 13 , 2021
Study Plan For FMGEJul 30 , 2021
FMGE June 2021 Result OutJun 30 , 2021
FMGE June 2021 Exam AnalysisJun 19 , 2021