Important Topics in OBGYN for NEET-PG by Dr. Prassan Vij
Gynaecology and Obstetrics are the 2 vast subjects clubbed together under the one. Students can’t afford to get questions wrong from this subject as it will adversely affect their ranking.
According to the recent official subject wise marks distribution for NEET-PG, around 30 questions are expected. This clearly shows the importance of this subject in NEET-PG.
We hope all of you are in the final phase of your revision and working very hard to turn your dream into reality.
To ease your revision for Obs & Gynae, we approached the famous faculty of OBGYN, DR. Prassan Vij to share the important topics which are high yielding & must on quickly revised in the left out time.
2021 Dream Pack: Clinical | Integrated | NEXT Ready
Important Topics in Gynaecology
1. Carcinoma cervix: Do read it ‘in and out’! Recent staging has been added. Likely to be a question (B1 B2 has a B3 stage also, IIIB has a next stage called III C 1 and C2)
2. Etiology and staging of carcinoma Endometrium, Association with postmenopausal bleeding in Diabetic and hypertensives and Pipelle biopsy in OPD. Prognostic factors like ER PR status and staging with grading. Hysteroscopy as the diagnostic tool, very important!
3. Management of abnormal bleeding and newer drugs- Read Mirena, Endometrial Ablation
4. PCOS complete…also, read Letrozole and metformin Pharmacology in detail. Letrozole as the new drug of choice for ovulation induction
5. Carcinoma Ovary staging and it’s new details from 2014 onwards. Read Germ cell tumors especially Dermoid and Dysgerminoma. Read also about AFP and HCG biochemistry.
All named lesions and ‘inclusion bodies’ in carcinoma ovary. Steps of staging Laparotomy.
6. HRT indications and Contra-Indications. Read especially about Raloxofene & Bisphosphonates.
7. One question always on intersex, especially MRKH and Testicular feminisation syndrome. Treatment of CAH.
8. Do read turners, Klinefelter’s and Kallman syndromes.
Important Topics in Obstetrics
1. Read antepartum and intrapartum surveillance in details:
- Details of NST and CTG are paramount for any exam.
- Bio-Physical profile and dynamics of Amniotic fluid.
- Read the regular patterns of CTG in labour, Variable decelerations… the most common type… are likely questions this time.
- Doppler of the Uterine artery is important but also see the MCA velocity for assessment of Anemia in Rh isoimmunization
- Do check out the Ductus venosus ‘M’wave pattern since this is used more and more often now in clinical practice
2. Malpresentation and Malposition, one question always comes in this.
- The most common question is always on Occipito posterior and the type of pelvis which is responsible for ‘Face to Pubis’ & for ‘Deep Transverse arrest”
- Breech and transverse lie is the usual malpresentation questions, though Face and Brow can be asked as well.
3. Aph and pph. Do read about the Placenta accrete case which can result in torrential PPH and also maternal mortality.
- Management of PPH with oxytocin first, prior to any other agent.
- Avoidance of Methylergometrine in cardiac cases and Hypertension but also the importance of Mathylergometrine and Carboprost in refractory PPH.
4. Read about blood component therapy which is important in all clinical branches
5. Management of shoulder Dystocia, the Various maneuvers
6. Active management of the third stage of labour.
7. Partogram and the various aspects of monitoring apart from station and Descent. Look for the frequency of per vaginal examination and vitals monitoring
8. Screening of anomalies. Dual marker, triple marker quadruple marker etc.
9. Ectopic pregnancy in and out. Management of unruptured ectopic pregnancy.
10. Molar Pregnancy, invasive mole, choriocarcinoma. The pathology of complete and Incomplete mole
11. Amniocentesis and cvs, procedure and timings. Cordocentesis, which can be done after 24 weeks.
Do read about ‘cell-free DNA; and its assessment in the NIPT or NIFTy test.
For more such tips & detailed video discussion on complete OBGYN, download OBGYN App by Dr. Prassan Vij
The app includes video lectures covering the entire Obs & Gynae, Tests with Video Discussion, Question Bank, Free daily updates and much more.
Get it here:
Best Wishes for NEET-PG!
Keep Following PrepLadder..
Connect on Instagram
NEET PG 2021 Exam AnalysisSep 12 , 2021
PrepLympics Starting 13th August. Get Ready to Win Prizes Worth Rs. 10 LakhAug 07 , 2021
The Best Way To Revise Your Syllabus For NEET-PGJul 23 , 2021
Best Hospitals for DNB in IndiaMay 25 , 2017
DNB or MD / MS- Which is Better for Your Career Growth? | PrepLadderDec 18 , 2015